10 November 2011

Harvest Decor: Open Back Clothespin Frame

by Veronica

Original Frame found on Pinterest
Have you checked out Pinterest? It's a fabulous website FULL of awesome, creative ideas shared by people just like you! Not only can you find ideas on there, but you can also 'pin' ideas to your very own pinboard to save for later use. It's like a virtual inspiration board right on your computer! I've been LOVING it since I signed up.

 It's so easy to 'pin' this and that, but sometimes it can be a challenge to actually get around to making something that I've pinned. *giggle* Well... I did it! I actually made something I pinned on Pinterest!

I was so inspired by this open back frame when I saw it. The twine "clotheslines" and clothespins give this frame a cozy, well-loved look without going too far in the rustic direction. I was originally going to make this into a Christmas card holder, but it really doesn't flow well with my other Christmas decor.

My version of the Pinterest Frame
Though I didn't have an exact purpose for the project yet, I purchased a similar frame from (non-other than) the Salvation Army for $4 (what a steal). To get the same look as the original, I drilled some small screws into the sides of the frame and wound some twine (from the Dollar Store) around them. The clothespins I had on hand weren't weathered enough, so I distressed them with some Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

After letting my bare frame sit in my Creative Studio for a couple of weeks, it came to me: This frame would be PERFECT in my foyer with my Harvest Decor! I hot glued some glittery flourishes to the top corner, added a big, floppy Autumn bow and I was almost finished!

I have to admit, it was a bit difficult deciding what to hand from the clothespins. I didn't want the frame to be too cluttered. I printed "...And be thankful" off my computer (font: Nelly Script Flourish) and hung it on the top row. But what could I put on the other rows?

I really love the idea of having a bowl of "I am thankful for ___________" slips of paper in front of the frame and have guests fill them out and hang them up when they come over. But to be honest, we don't get too many visitors. Finally, I decided to keep it simple and hang some Autumn leaves from the clothespins and let them drape around the adorable pumpkin I purchased from Michaels (which sits atop a pedestal I purchased from the Salvation Army with the frame).

This project turned out to be a great 'first impression' when you walk into our home. It's welcoming and festive and is a great reminder for what this season is all about.

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today. If you're interested in seeing all the other fun projects I've pinned on Pinterest, you can follow me here. I hope you've been inspired!

-Veronica

2 comments :

  1. So cool, Veronica! That turned out great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful Veronica, love your take on it!
    I'm obsessed with pinning, getting ready to make something really soon with one of my pins!
    Puppy Hugs,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your feedback and hope you were inspired!