05 February 2015

MCT Designer Challenge: Someone Special Wreath Card

by Veronica

Today is a Designer Challenge day at My Creative Time and you probably won't be surprised that I cheated a little. I love the colors from our inspiration photo, but I decided to tone it down a bit for this birthday card and omit the orange. In hindsight, I totally could have added a small splash of orange in the wreath, but this card has already been sent, so it is what it is! Ah, well...

My card today is for my husband's grandma, Grandma Margie's, 84th birthday. Grandma Margie lives in Kentucky and comes up here to Michigan to stay with my in-laws many times throughout the year for extended periods of time (although, never long enough, in my humble opinion). She is an absolute delight! The Hubs and I have been together since high school, and I'll always remember her sweet hollers when I'd give him kisses hello and goodbye in front of her back then. She'd just giggle and shout in that she could see us in her southern drawl. I've had many wonderful kitchen table chats with Grandma Margie over the last 12 years. One of my favorite memories is when she called me a 'heifer'. Keep in mind, I was probably 18 years old at the time and my fragile ego took it hard. When I told my boyfriend (before he was promoted to The Hubs) what had happened, he started laughing. This was too much for me to bear! He promptly eased my fears when he told me that to Grandma Margie, 'heifer' was a term of endearment. Phew!


Something new I did for this card was to 'deboss' the background. I tend to use embossing folders quite a bit when leaving the background a solid color, but this pattern just wasn't working right for me. So I flipped the layer over to reveal the underside of the embossed card stock and went with it! It's a softer look while still getting the texture and dimension.

MCT Products Used
Pretty Spring Wreaths (wreath and sentiments)
Bunch of Fun Circles Die
Stitched Sweetheart Die

Special Tip: One of the coolest things about photopolymer (clear) stamps is that they are so flexible! The sentiments used here from the Pretty Spring Wreaths stamp set are not curved. I simply curved them on my acrylic block when I set them Easy peasy!

That's it for me today. Thanks for stopping by! You can find more projects from the Design Team at the MCT blog.

I hope you were inspired!

- Veronica

6 comments :

  1. OMG Veronica.....OMG Your story was so cute....darling.....sweet and loving *tears* WOW talk about a heart strings story....girl you so could write a book about love.....I'd be your first customer.....your story sure touched my heart and gave me the warm fuzzies. Made my day!!! I love your card it is so beautiful and sweet.....just like you....Love how you did your embossing and used Miss Emma's Goodies....love the colors you chose for your card.....Super outstanding stamping job too. it definitely is one pices of beautiful art!! Happy 84th Birthday to Grandma Margie. You are the Sweetest gal.
    YOU totally ROCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Veronica ~ Well first off the card is simply BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE the embossed look reversed ` totally agree with you on that! Well I LOVE the story ~ I giggled at the "heifer" comment ~ who knew?? So sweet of you to share with us ~ Wish hubs and "your" grandma a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is gorgeous Veronica! I am lifting it. I'm not kidding! I flip my embossed paper a lot too. I always seem to like the reverse side better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is gorgeous Veronica! I am lifting it. I'm not kidding! I flip my embossed paper a lot too. I always seem to like the reverse side better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful card Veronica, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The debossing is a great idea and looks so pretty. I really like the colors in the challenge. I like the grey stamping to soften the whole card. Beautiful job!
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I appreciate your feedback and hope you were inspired!